How to Call Israel from the U.S.A.
Plenty of people are interested in calling Israel from the United States but do not make as many calls as they would like to because of the high cost of international phone calls. This can interfere with relationships, prevent people from communicating and hold back your business. Thankfully, there is a solution to high international phone rates. You no longer need to be held back by your phone company. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service can help.
If you are ready to learn how to make affordable calls to Israel, then continue reading. In this article, we will help you understand how VoIP works and how you can get started with this service and placing international phone calls. We think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you can do with VoIP phone service and how much money you can save.
- Saving Money with VoIP Phone Service
- Calling Israel from a Phone Inside the US (or from Your VoIP Service)
- How to Choose a Phone Plan and Save on International Calls
There are many significant advantages to using a VoIP plan for your phone calls. Whether you are calling internationally as a primary use of your service or whether you plan to primarily call within the United States, you can save money with a VoIP plan and gain access to some amazing features in the process.
Advantages of VoIP over Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS):
- Portable and Convenient—You can take your service anywhere you will have access to the Internet. With the Internet reaching all over the world, you can easily use your VoIP plan from anywhere and you are not stuck or limited by your geography. This is great for everyone, but it is particularly helpful for businesses that want to connect multiple departments, work remotely or help their different locations come together in the same phone system.
- Business Features—Businesses can access features they may not have had otherwise with VoIP. Because of VoIP’s low cost, they can acquire functionality that they could not use without spending an extensive amount of money, too. This is great for small businesses and others on a budget.
- Easy-to-Use—This technology is very easy to use and is adaptable to a wide variety of different needs. You can scale it to fit your needs and your budget.
- Adaptable—You can adapt your plan to your needs by adding features, changing the equipment you use or scaling the plan to fit your growing business. If you have to make a change later on, you can and you are not by any means stuck with your plan—you can take your phone with you, and most VoIP vendors let you easily change your terms later if necessary. Because there are so many vendors to choose from, too, you have more choices and options than you would with POTS service. This makes it even easier to get the services you need.
1. Saving Money with VoIP Phone Service
You can save money with VoIP service in comparison with POTS phone plans because VoIP service works differently. By routing phone signals over the Internet instead of the copper wire networks that POTS phones use, VoIP services cost less to operate and maintain. Originally, phone companies laid thousands of miles of copper wiring around the world in order to provide phone access. Over time, these networks deteriorate and need ongoing care and maintenance that VoIP services do not need.
As a result, calls to Israel are cheaper with a VoIP plan. Instead of have phone signals travel through the POTS network, these signals travel across the Internet and are packaged to travel the most efficient online routes possible in order to reach their destination. VoIP companies can afford to charge less than POTS providers can, so the services are at a significantly lower cost. In spite of these lower costs, the service quality is exceptionally high and getting steadily better with technological improvements.
VoIP phones can easily call other VoIP phones or POTS phones, making it easy to use VoIP service to make calls to Israel. You can call relatives, friends or business associates without worrying about the call recipients needing to purchase additional equipment or services because you can easily call them on your phone even if they have a traditional phone service or older phone equipment.
2. Calling Israel from a Phone Inside the US (or from Your VoIP Service)
To call Israel, you will need to follow a special and simple procedure. First, you will need to call out of the American phone system. To do you, you dial the exit code for the United States, which is 011. After that, you would dial the country code for the nation you are trying to reach. Then, you can dial the area code and phone number. Simply dialing the number without the exit and country codes is not enough and may just call a phone within the United States that shares that number, so you will want to follow these steps exactly.
- Dial 011, the exit code for the US phone system
- Dial 972, which is the country code for Israel and brings you into Israel’s network
- Dial the area code
- Dial the phone number
- Begin talking!
Using a similar procedure, you can call other countries as well. It is important to remember that many international numbers differ in the number of digits they use. You may have a longer or shorter number to dial than you would normally expect. In Israel, for instance, your area code is a single digit and your phone number is seven digits long. Some countries even phone numbers of different lengths within the same country! So pay careful attention to the number when you dial and do not make assumptions. This is also why the exit code and entry codes are important.
3. How to Choose a Phone Plan and Save on International Calls
As you begin to choose a plan, consider these areas:
- Equipment—Some providers allow you to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), while others are strict about the type of phones you can use. Generally speaking, though, your choices with a typical plan are analog telephones (with adapters so they can read and send VoIP signals), IP phones, softphones through an app of some kind, or your smartphone or tablet.
- Minutes—International minutes do still cost more than domestic phone service, but these minutes are still usually much more affordable.
- Features—If you do not need advanced call management features, then you probably do not need a plan that includes them. You should explain to your vendor how you expect to use your phone, and they can help guide you if you are unsure which plan to choose.
- Cost—Some plans are very cheap, with service available for around $50 a year in some cases. These are very basic plans, but they may offer enough for your needs, depending on what those needs are. If you need additional features for a business or for your own personal use, you may need to pay more to receive what you actually need. It pays to shop around, too. Many vendors have entry level plans and more advanced features you can scale into later if you need more services or minutes.