The Top 10 Most Reliable VoIP Speed Test Tools
The telecom industry has changed considerably over the last decade—evolving from landline wired telephone systems to a an intricate web of data networks, and ultimately to the birth of Voice-over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
VoIP has become the go-to solution for establishing fast, quality, and cost-effective connections. It has also proven to provide significant cost savings for businesses. In fact, businesses see an average savings of approximately 50 to 75
percent just by switching to VoIP services
Although VoIP is a cost-effective solution for many businesses, establishing a fast and reliable connection can be a challenge at times. To streamline communications, maintain the highest levels of productivity possible, and meet the needs of the business each day, businesses need to ensure that they are establishing quality connections.
If your connection isn’t solid, your VoIP experience is going to be a bad one. Your calls are going to drop, sound choppy or full of static, or your call just won’t connect in the first place.
Luckily, businesses can easily check the quality of their connections simply by using a VoIP speed test tool and we’ve collected here ten of the best VoIP speed test tools you can use to monitor your Internet connectivity.
While you’re using these, a good rule of thumb for VoIP is you’re going to want to have less than 10 ms in jitter, with latency under 160 ms.
Top Ten VoIP Speed Test Tools
1. speedtest.net by Ookla – This tool is pretty simple to use: Visit the website and click “Go”. It will tell you your ping, your Mbps, as well as which server it’s using to test. Quick, simple, accurate. Make sure to watch out for the advertisements, a lot of them have buttons that look like the real thing. Click on the yellow GO! to get it to work.
You can also view your results history to assess the average speed of your connection over time. These results also provide you with a comparison of your results with users around the world.
On top of that, it doesn’t require Flash, which is a plus.
2. Bandwidth Place Internet Speed Test – Yet another speedometer based design, this application assesses upload and download times and also performs a ping test. This speed test tool is also available as a mobile app, so before you make a phone call via VoIP, you can instantly test your existing connection, making this a handy solution for business VoIP users on-the-go.
3. Fast.com is as simple as it gets. If you want to know your download speed, this Netflix powered service will tell you without you having to click a button. You can compare that speed through a link to the above-mentioned speedtest.net.
4. ZDNet Broadband Speed Test – This is a pretty normal VoIP speed test tool with a fun look to it. Simply enter your type of connection, then your location, and then your postcode.
The reason you want to include your postcode is that the tool will compare your VoIP connection performance with the average connection speed of other people around you.
You will likely need to install or update Adobe Flash in order for this tool to run properly.
5. Freeola Broadband Line Quality Test – A great free tool that actually has multiple things you can test relating to line quality and speed. Here’s what it includes:
- Upload/ download speeds
- Network latency
- Packet loss
These parameters will give you an overall assessment of your line stability and performance.
What’s great about Freeola is that there is also a helpful list of terms and definitions available as well as a quick guide on how to understand your results. Simply click once and watch the magic happen.
6. Ookla.com – Although we already looked at a speed test tool powered by Ookla, Ookla itself has a number of customizable speed test tools that provide real-time connection performance results as well as customizable reports about your connections speed, jitter, and packet loss. Ookla offers multiple speed test options and services, including customizable speed tests and speed test intelligence.
Keep in mind you will have to register an account to use their tools. The free version is pretty robust, but if you are looking for more functionality they do have a paid version.
One of the nice things about this tool is the results are surrounded by information about VoIP connections. It will tell you what each parameter means, as well as how it relates to quality of VoIP calls.
One annoying thing, is this is hidden behind a form asking for your information, but the results are worth it.
8. Visualware – This comprehensive testing tool gives you a huge range of connection tests to choose from—all designed to test your Internet speed and the quality, efficiency, and performance of your connection. It can be a little difficult to navigate to the test, and you do have to download some software.
Users also have access to a number of speed tests, including the following:
It’s a little bit tricky to get setup, but it’s very robust.
9. 8×8 VoIP Readiness Test – This tool specifically tests the quality of a VoIP connection and speed of 8X8 servers. This speed test tool is specifically designed for large enterprises to ensure that their current network speed and connections can handle business use under pressure. This speed test tool will test the connection of up to 100 lines!
Note: This speed test tool doesn’t work well with Chrome, so it is best to use another browser, such as Firefox to run this speed test tool for maximum functionality.
10. MegaPath Speed Test Plus – This is a great tool that performs an in-depth speed test and assesses the overall quality of your broadband connection. Users can easily select the nearest city, select business or residence and then begin the test.
After the test is complete, you will have a thorough report with results measuring your packet loss and latency, as well as speed.
Note: Adobe Flash is required to run this test.
Maximize Your VoIP Business Benefits
Measuring and monitoring the speed and quality of a VoIP connection and network speed is important, especially for business VoIP users—and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do it.
If you want a quick and easy tool to test your current connection before you make a call or a more detailed assessment of your broadband connection, these 10 most reliable VoIP speed test tools are a great place to start.
One you have more information regarding the speed, quality, and reliability of your broadband connection, you will be able to make more informed business decisions regarding your business’ current technology as well as whether or not you should consider switching your service provider. A good connection is a key to a great VoIP experience, and these speed test tools are a great place to start.